Steven Tyler in New Televison Profile About His Past Drug Use: 'We Snorted Half of Peru'
Chris Weeks, Getty Images
In the 13-minute piece, Tyler says they realistically blew $5 to $6 million on drugs." The singer chalks it up to the rock star life, saying "We snorted half of Peru. It's what we did."
The always quippy frontman confessed, "I am as good a drug addict as I am a singer and a father. I am that good at trying to make myself feel good. But it takes me down and seals me like a crook." Sounds like he is self-aware, thanks to a cocktail of rehab and therapy, and knowing who he is on a base level.
The interview also spotlights Tyler and Perry's tumultuous relationship. The twosome -- famously referred to as the 'Toxic Twins' -- have a typical push and pull, which often occurs between lead singers and guitarists, with Tyler admitting he is inflicted with LSD -- Lead Singer's Disease.
But through the arguments, break ups, addictions, rehab and babies being born, they function like a marriage, where they fall in and out of love.
Tyler reveals he was called "pinhead" and "nigger lips" while growing up, which sucked at the time, but is now a badge of honor for him.
He spoke about how his two season stint as an American Idol judge raised the band's stock "270 percent." Both he and Perry admit that there is no Aerosmith without Steven Tyler or without Joe Perry, even though the band tried to replace him when he was being courted by Idol.
"I've gotten more laughs out of him than anything else, for all the arguing and for all 'The Toxic Twins,'" Perry said. "We're brothers. That doesn't seem to go away."
Tyler said it best, "I can't live without them. I don't want to. It's honest glue and honest love, wrapped up in codependency."
Dynamic Duos of Rock
- Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
- Ozzy Osbourne and Tony Iommi
- Robert Plant and Jimmy Page
- Steven Tyler and Joe Perry
- Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley
- Freddie Mercury and Brian May
- David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen
- James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich
- Axl Rose and Slash
- Zach de la Rocha and Tom Morello
- Bret Michaels: Through the Years
- w/ Poison at the MTV Music Awards (1987)
- w/ Aerosmith's Steven Tyler (1991)
- Backstage after a Poison show (1990)
- w/ ex-girlfriend Pamela Anderson (1994)
- w/ Poison (1999)
- w/ duet partner Miley Cryus (2010)
- w/ current girlfriend Kristi Lynn Gibson (2011)
- w/ Tom Cruise at 'Rock of Ages' premiere (2012)
- w/ daughters Raine and Jorja (2012)
- w/ 'Celebrity Apprentice' costars Dee Snider, Lisa Rinna, and Marilu Henner (2012)