Wendy Dio Raises Money for Cancer Research With Help From Metallica, Iron Maiden + Others (VIDEO EXCLUSIVE)
True to her word, Wendy created the Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund which in its short time in existence has already raised over $600,000.
This past Saturday (Dec. 1) in Beverly Hills, a special charity event took place at Julien's Auctions to raise even more money for the Dio's cancer cause. Nearly 100 guitars were donated (many of them also signed) by the likes of Slash, Tom Morello, Tony Iommi, members of Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, the Alice Cooper Band, Metallica, Iron Maiden and more, as part of the Icons & Idols: Rock 'N' Roll auction.
Noisecreep spoke exclusively with Wendy and bassist Bjorn Englen from Dio Disciples, an all-star metal band that tours to keep Ronnie's legacy and music alive. We've also included a photo gallery featuring some of the signed guitars.
Ronnie James Dio Cancer Fund Guitar Auction
- Aerosmith guitar
- Metallica guitar
- Def Leppard guitar
- Eddie Van Halen guitar
- Tony Iommi guitar
- 10 Charitable Rock Musicians
- Amy Lee (Evanescence)
- Tim Lambesis (As I Lay Dying)
- Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil)
- Ian Astbury (The Cult)
- Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars)
- Sal Coz Costa (My Darkest Days)
- James 'Head' Welch (Love and Death, ex-Korn)
- Iron Maiden
- Underrated Guitarists From the '70s
- Mick Ralphs (Mott the Hoople, Bad Company)
- Ronnie Montrose (Montrose, Gamma)
- Tommy Bolin (The James Gang, Deep Purple)
- Punky Meadows (Angel)
- Richie Ranno (Starz)
Head over to DioCancerFund.org for more information on Wendy's work and how to contribute.